Job Title: Accounts Payable
Reports To: Finance Controller
Duty station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The candidate will be involved in managing and processing financial transactions related to the company’s payable accounts. Your primary responsibilities will include reviewing and verifying invoices, ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation, and obtaining necessary approvals for payment processing. You will also be responsible for reconciling vendor statements, resolving discrepancies, and maintaining accurate records of financial transactions. Additionally, you may assist in preparing financial reports, analysing expense trends, and coordinating with internal teams and vendors to ensure timely and accurate payments. Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and knowledge of accounting principles are crucial for this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage import purchase function through coordination and preparation of rolling plan for the company importation and submit the same to management. Follow up with suppliers/Customs/TRA/TBS etc., for status and speedy arrival of ordered material and to ensure non-incurrence of Storage Charges.
- Coordinate for Timely Payments of Assessment duties, Port Charges and Shipping line charges to speed up clearing process. Follow-up with Clearing & Forwarding Agent to ensure timely clearance of imported goods. Follow up and ensure prompt recognition of import creditors liability in the books of accounts on date of receipt of material.
- Ensure all import supplier accounts balances are confirmed through accepted and signed SOAs for status as on preceding month closing date. Updating of account entries pertaining to Import Expenses and ensure reconciliation of Provision for Import Exp. And C&F Agents accounts upon closure of each import file.
- Advise Accounts Manager to release timely payments to Import Creditors against L/C, Import Bills, Import Finance Loan and Clearing Agents Bills after obtaining appropriate approvals and accounting of the same into SAP and ensure Import Creditors reconciliation is complete before releasing payment to Import Creditors.
- Timely preparation and presenting of MIS reports relating to import purchase function before agreed deadline to the management.
- Ensure compliance of statutory taxation laws before due date by compiling data and make timely and accurate submission of VAT returns and prepare purchase and VAT reconciliation against returns on monthly basis.
- Liaising with clearing agent to coordinate and ensure timely clearing of imported raw materials.
- Coordinate and liaise with revenue and custom authorities regarding statutory issues and assessments pertaining to importation of materials and provide necessary information as guided by the management.
- Participate in all internal and external statutory auditors and provide them with necessary information as guided by the finance management.
- Comply with all Company policies and operational standards, including those in relation to health, safety, environment and community.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Commerce in Accounts or related field from a reputable institution
- At least 5 years’ experience as an Accounts Payable
- Manufacturing industry experience would be an advantage
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Member of a professional body
- Understanding of basic accounting principles, financial statements, and financial processes related to accounts payable
- Proficiency in accurately processing and verifying invoices, including matching them with purchase orders and receipts, ensuring proper coding and documentation, and resolving discrepancies
- Ability to effectively communicate and build relationships with vendors, negotiate payment terms, resolve payment issues, and maintain vendor records
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in entering financial data, such as invoice details, payment information, and vendor information, into accounting systems
- Knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, and internal policies governing accounts payable processes, such as tax regulations, payment terms, and record-keeping requirements
- Familiarity with accounting software and systems used for accounts payable functions, as well as proficiency in using spreadsheets and other tools for data analysis and reporting
- Effective communication skills to interact with internal stakeholders, such as purchasing departments and finance teams, as well as external vendors, to resolve issues, clarify information, and ensure smooth payment processes
- Ability to identify and resolve payment discrepancies, troubleshoot issues, analyze data for trends and insights, and propose process improvements to enhance efficiency and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple invoices, prioritize tasks, meet payment deadlines, and maintain accurate records
- Understanding the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of financial information and adhering to data protection and privacy policies
Interested candidates are requested to forward their updated CV’s ONLY to email@example.com stating the subject heading ACCOUNTS PAYABLE by Friday, 11th December 2023 clearly indicating their current and expected renumeration (MUST), daytime telephone contact and addresses of three referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.